Monday, October 20, 2008

Metaphors

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

First of all, Happy 300th anniversary of Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji's Gurgaddi Divas. I'll write more on the subject later.

I was reading Mr.Sikhnet's Blog today and about his deep reflection on a simple event that occured (read about it here). It is amazing how Waheguru presents deep "hidden" messages in seemingly simple situations in your life, like a metaphor in a poem. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is filled with metaphors, for example:



Anyway, here's my "metaphor"

Today as I was walking down the halls in UNBC I noticed a blind woman walking behind me with her cane. I opened a door and than realizing that it will slam in front of the woman I held it open for her. I held the next door open for her too. The weird part was that I was half expecting a "thank you" from her (obviously she couldn't because she didn't realize what I was doing!). I'm so used to hearing "thanks" from people when we open the door for each other.
This got me thinking about our relationship with God. Waheguru opens so many doors for us, but we are too "blind" and preoccupied in our situations that we never say thanks. We are never grateful when he shows us new paths, but we get angry at him when he lets us bang our head on a closed door. Obviously, he is so great and amazing that he never stops giving.

I would probably be less forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment